There were quite some sights to behold last night:
1. Mom, who prides on being a teetotaler and frowns when I even think of alcohol, nursing a mug of chilled beer and ‘Cheers’ing everyone in the room!
2. The great-grandmom of the family dancing to Elvis Presley’s “A Little Less Conversation”!
3. Uncles and aunties enacting skits and acting like kids!
4. Overflowing beer!
5. Four people trying to force open the cork of a wine bottle, without a cork-opener, and managing to break the cork into tiny pieces that fell into the wine!
6. Turning around in circles with a confused look because I was drunk and I couldn’t find the bottle of scotch!
7. Calling up friends and singing Nickelback songs while standing in the middle of the road!
8. Scrambling for money to fulfill the last-minute orders for booze in the packed wine store!
… and other memorable sweet nothings marked the end of 2008 and brought in the new year with much anticipated revelry, fireworks and a collected sigh of relief. It was something that everyone needed, I guess – a break. It was a fantastic start to the new year when I closed my eyes at 2 in the morning, drunk, expecting a major hangover and with a contented sigh on my lips.
Once upon a time (2 days ago) Apar had asked me for my resolutions and I had deftly deferred (adamantly refused) the issue until the year actually begins. Now that it has, I can avoid it no more. Through my hungover haze, I thought about it and realized that there are quite a few things that I’d want to do this year – resolutions and wishes – and I made a rudimentary list. I began prioritizing them all, and here’s the final result:
- I want to smile more this year, irrespective of the situation. I want to be able to convince myself that punching myself in the face while asleep is not worth losing a smile.
- I want to make sure that I think seriously about making a resolution to consider the possibility of a faint chance of quitting smoking.
- I want to get the two books in the pipeline out this year, come what may.
- I wish this year has some surprises in store for me, because all 2008 had to offer was one heartbreak after another.
- In the same vein, I hope to find true love, clichéd as it may sound. I’m tired of one-off dates and two-week affairs and one-month ‘girlfriends’. Sigh!
- I want to go to France.
- I want to succeed in organizing an All India Bloggers’ Meet in Gokarna this year – it started out as a South India Bloggers’ Meet, but I decided that Gokarna is too beautiful a place to make anyone jealous!
- I want to feel like God – I want to buy an Avenger!
- I wish I can convince myself to start working out again – running for 40 minutes a day isn’t enough. I want to pump iron again!
- I wish I could sleep for 16 hours a day and laze around in bed for the other 8.
- I’m going to booze more often and get drunk less often.
- I wish I could wish for more wishes.
- I wish I could make others feel better.
- I wish people can live in peace without having to kill for it.
- I wish I could make at least one person happy per day.
- I wish I can grow a year old and look back at myself with pride for having accomplished at least one of the above.
Have a great year everyone! It’s been one hell of a journey, isn’t it? 😀